Saturday, August 23, 2008

Gadgets/Widgets

I use Yahoo! widgets under windows, and I want something like that for Linux. I would show you a screenshot of my desktop with the widgets, but I'm running a Windows free weekend, so I can't do that.

This post is a place holder to remind me that I have to get into this aspect as well.

Any hints would be great, but I'll update my efforts later.

Update 8/23 2:00pm

I've found out about Google Gadgets for Linux. I'm following their install directions, but I'm having problems getting all the dependencies right. This is my biggest pet peeve about Linux. Under Windows you get an installer, and it installs with a few clicks. With Linux you have to cofigure, make, and so on. Sometimes they have dependencies you don't have, so you have to download this and that, and hope they don't have dependencies.

I understand that each distro has a different file structure, and everyone's computer might have a different kernel compiled, but it's got to be easier if Linux is to take on the desktop.

Apple's done it with a Unix based system, but they know what the structure will be and what the kernel will contain, so they've got it easy.

Update: 8/23 6:00pm
One of the dependencies was QT 2. I spent over two hours doing the install (watching the computer do the install), and it gobbled up the last 2.2 GIG of my hard drive. I'm running in a very small partition until my new hard drive comes in, so this is an issue. I'm going to install my external hard drive, try to mount it, and use that for my free space. 100 Gigs should be enough, no?

Update 8/24 9:20am
I got it installed last night and this morning, and tried running configure again. Still not installing. It gives me an error:

configure: error: conditional "GTK2_TARGET_X11" was never defined.

I've tried installing a few modules for GTK, some internet searches, and even Seamonkey. Nothing seems to work. I'm going to go to their support site and gripe a bit.

Update 8/25:

I got a response back from Google's mailing list. They said to install the dev packages, and it works. Now, I'm not so sure I like it.

I'm also experimenting with Screenlets. That installed and appears to run, but none of the screenlets show on my screen. I'm on their forum to try and get answers to that one.

5 comments:

Lexrst said...

I have found that this site: http://rpm.pbone.net/ is quite helpful when looking for RHEL specific rpms. Here are the ones I found when I did an advanced search for 'qt4' and RHEL4:

RedHat EL 4 apt.bioxray.dk/rhel/el4/i386/RPMS.xray-testing/qt4-doc-4.2.2-1.el4.mok.i386.rpm

RedHat EL 4 ftp.pramberger.at/systems/linux/contrib/rhel4/x86_64/qt4-4.3.2-3.el4.pp.x86_64.rpm

RedHat EL 4 ftp.pramberger.at/systems/linux/contrib/rhel4/i386/qt4-4.3.2-3.el4.pp.i386.rpm
RedHat EL 4 apt.bioxray.dk/rhel/el4/i386/RPMS.xray-testing/qt4-4.2.2-1.el4.mok.i386.rpm

RedHat EL 4 download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/epel/4/x86_64/codeblocks-8.02-1.el4.x86_64.rpm

RedHat EL 4 download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/epel/4/i386/codeblocks-8.02-1.el4.i386.rpm

RedHat EL 4 download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/epel/4/x86_64/codeblocks-1.0-0.28.20071210svn4719.el4.x86_64.rpm

RedHat EL 4 download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/epel/4/i386/codeblocks-1.0-0.28.20071210svn4719.el4.i386.rpm

You can check out the site and do a more thorough search for your specific needs.

Hope that helps...

Regards,
Lexrst

Lexrst said...

Just for grins I installed Google Gadgets on my Ubuntu desktop and had problems launching the gtk version, but the QT version ran fine (although not entirely bug-free).

If you can get QT4 installed, I recommend trying that flavor.

Cheers,
Lexrst

Lexrst said...

Sorry - I may have made some assumptions in my original comment... you being new to RedHat, I probably shouldn't do that. :)

RPMs are pre-compiled installation packages available for RedHat, Fedora, and other distros. They are handy because you don't have spend time compiling the package from source (like the 2 hours it took you), has a built-in dependency checker, and a nice GUI interface (although you can install RPMs from the CLI, if you so desire).

Also, I assumed that you know that when searching for a RHEL4 RPM, there are comparable Fedora RPMs that might work with your flavor of RedHat. I can't remember which version of Fedora matches up with which version of RHEL, but you should be able to Google it... :)

Forgive me if I assumed too much. I should know better as I have had only limited experience with RH out at a customer of mine. I'm much more familiar with Ubuntu which I run on my own computers (both home and work).

Enjoy your Windows Free Weekend! I know I have enjoyed mine!

Cheers,
Lexrst

Rick Seiden said...

Lexrst,

Thanks for your help. I'm familiar with RPMs, but having a place to go to get them is a definite help. I did finally get QT installed, but still can't get Google Gadgets installed. It's very frustrating.

Rick

Lexrst said...

Sorry to hear it's still not working. There is one other alternative - it's a gnome add-on that might work for you called GDesklets.

Here's the main page: http://www.gdesklets.de - I don't think there are rpms available from the main page, but there should be some built out there in the ether...

Regards,

Lexrst