Saturday, August 23, 2008

Windows free weekend! -- Over

Everything I need to run my normal life online is The Web, Email and IM. I do more, but that's 99% of it. I have all of this on my Linux partition already, so I'm going Windows free this weekend. No booting into Windows. No booting Windows in a Virtual Machine. No Windows on my laptop.

Wish me luck.

Update:
Still Windows Free, but I just ran into my first issue without Windows. NBC's online Olympic coverage only supports WIndows (IE/Firefox) and Mac OX (Safari). I tried adding the User Agent Switching plugin, and that got me past the message that said I wasn't supported. I still couldn't watch the video, however. So, no on line Olympic coverage for me today.

Update:
It's over. I'm back to Windows for work. My Linux partition isn't large enough for me to migrate my work stuff over yet, so I'm still in Windows for email and what not. I can't wait for my hard drive to come.

I do have to admit that I had to reboot my laptop, and forgot that unattended it boots to Windows, so I did boot into Windows over the weekend. I didn't log in, though. I just hit the shutdown button on the login window, and off I went, back to Linux.

I'm a little frustrated with the state of affairs in Linux right now. Things are much more difficult than they are in Windows. I still like the idea of LInux, but I'm leaning more towards going back to Windows. There, I said it. I'm not giving up yet, but I'm leaning that way now.

No comments: