Saturday, August 23, 2008

Mounting My External Hard Drive--Closed

I have a Thinkpad T60, which has an UltraBay Slim adapter that I use for a 100Gig hard drive. I need to mount that under Linux.

So, first I have to figure out where it is. According to this article, it's /dev/hdc. So, with the help of another article, I used fdisk and mkfs to partition it and format it as a FAT32 drive. Well, it's still formatting now.

When that's done, I'll have to add it to fstab, which is new to me. Google is great. Helps you find out all kinds of info you don't know. Like how to add a drive to the fstab file. I couldn't, by the way, use the info in the first article about mounting drives because it wants to permenatly mount it. I don't want to do that as it comes in and out in exchange for my DVD Drive.

Update:
I got my drive mounted no problem. I had to add the following line to my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hdc1 /media/ultra auto rw,noauto,user 0 0

then issue

mount /media/ultra

Works great.

1 comment:

Lexrst said...

Here's a couple of things that might help in the future...

In gnome, gparted is a great GUI interface for partitioning / labeling / formatting in Linux. It has always performed well for me, except in rare circumstances (software RAID, for example). For normal hard disk manipulation it works great. Gparted can be found in most package manager programs (including RedHat's).

Second, anything defined in your fstab that isn't already mounted can be mounted easily by issuing the command: mount -a.

It's helpful when you're playing around with fstab edits and don't want to have to type the path everytime.

Cheers,

Lexrst