Saturday, August 23, 2008

Scrolling with the Track Point -- Closed

Man, this is a pain. I'm trying to get the trackpoint to scroll, as mentioned in my first post. I found an article on thinkwiki, but i can't seem to get it to work. I have to admit that I'm a bit on the tired side, and that Spongebob Squarepants is a little distracting. Plus, I have about 10 minutes before I have to leave for Karate.

I'm going to try again later.

Update:
I tried something, and it caused X to stop working. This article details some stuff to do, but it all failed.

Update:
Just strange. I rebooted, and now it scrolls in Thunderbird, but just in Thunderbird. Not in anything else.

Update:
I found another link. I managed to install the gsynaptics program, and I was able to disable to trackpad, which I hate. But I still can't scroll. The middle mouse button still does the paste what's highlighted thing.

Update:
I've gone to my company's internal group for help. See what they say.

Update:
I got the help I needed for the scrolling thing. Here's my final configuration in xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
# InputDevice "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection


Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
Option "EmulateWheel" "on"
Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
# Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
# Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
# Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
# Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
Option "TouchPadOff" "1"
EndSection

Works just the way I want it to. Hope this helps some other poor soul who's having the same problems.

No comments: